Monday, May 5, 2008

Happy Cinco de Mayo

I can't say that I am even a fraction Mexican (Irish, English & American Indian for the most part)... but I do enjoy Mexican food :) I would LOVE to go enjoy the evening with some Mexican food tonight, but it is near impossible to get into our favorite one here in town on Cinco de Mayo. So we will probably just be stuck at home eating my non-authentic enchilladas for tonight. I will share the super simple recipe I use here in a minute.

Before I get to the recipe though, I thought I would share what the boys and I did this morning. I got the wild idea yesterday, that since today was suppose to be a gorgeous 75 degree day (before the rest of the week is filled with rain), that we needed to make a trip to our local zoo. Since my hubby couldn't get off work on a Monday morning, I loaded up the boys, along with their wagon, and headed to the north side of our town. Our little zoo is home to some 500 animals representing 170 species - so certainly not huge like the St. Louis Zoo where my boys have been to in the past. Upon arriving, my oldest son requested we start with the giraffes which was fine by me since they are one of my favorites. I think they ended up being his favorites too since we arrived just in time to feed them some of their special crackers
My youngest son's favorite part (I'm guess since he doesn't talk real well yet...at least not in a language anyone can understand) was probably a tie between some lizard in the reptile house (forgot to see what the name of it was) that he kept running back to see. He LOVED how it would jump at the window tryig to get him. He laughed and squealed every time. Do to lots of laughing and squealing I would say he also really enjoyed the goats MY favorite part was having our wonderful wagon with us

I have NO idea what I would have done without it! Every time Zach (my youngest - 20 months old) was out of it, he was running one direction while Drew (my oldest - 4.5 years old) was headed in the opposite direction. All in all I think they had a pretty fun morning. In fact, Drew was just looking at the map of the zoo, "So I can plan what I want to see first next time!"

I must share my VERY favorite part of our day so far though! After we got back home and had finished lunch, the boys and I were sharing a chocolate frosty from Wendy's restaurant when Zach looked at me and says "poo-poo" and I asked if need to go. He nodded his head and ran off to the bathroom and SURE ENOUGH he actually went! This is a HUGE thing since he is 20 months old and we have never really done a much potty training with him yet (other than set his little potty out in the bathroom)...especially since our oldest didn't potty train until he was 3.5 yrs. Needless to say I was COMPLETELY floored that he did that! I'm not expecting this to happen much at all right now, but I am very excited that he is showing interest all on his own. :) Sorry if that was a little too much info for you :)

Hmmm...now I am trying to think of how to nicely transition from that "too much information" to the recipe I was going to share with you. *laugh* Since I can't think of a good way of doing it, I will just plundge right in.

Super Simple Enchiladas


Ingredients:
1 pound of hamburger
2 cups of Monterey Jack shredded cheese (I actually prefer Colby Jack with just a little extra cheddar)
1 package of flour tortillas
1/2 onion - chopped
3 cups enchilada sauce (we like Old El Paso - Mild brand...I buy one 10 ounce and one 14 ounce can)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brown hamburger and onion. Drain. Mix in the 10 oz can of enchilada sauce and about 1/2 c to 3/4 c of the cheese. Spread some of the mix on a tortilla shell and roll. Spray 9x13 casserole dish with vegetable oil and place rolled shell in the dish. Repeat with remaining shells - lining the rolled shells up across the dish. Poor remaining exchilada sauce (I use the 14 oz can for this) over the top of the rolled shells. Cover with remaining cheese and bake for 35 minutes.

It's THAT simple!!

I usually make some rice and green beans to round out the meal for us. I am known for my lack of cooking skills, so if I can do this, ANYONE can :)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like something my husband will like. I was wondering if you can change out the hamburger for chicken? thanks for sharing it with us

Georgia Oliver, Dreams Ink! Digital Designs said...

Mmmmmm sounds like a yummy recipe. Also looks like a perfect one to SCRAP! That's on my to do list some day... scrap our favorite recipes 5x7 size and put them in a three ring binder.

Anonymous said...

Hi...Your Recipe sounds yummy..What we do is sometimes use Vigo Black Beans and Rice (Cuban) with the Hamburger...It really is quite yummy....use them sparingly though or they will get runny....Just a little different slant....and Hey congrats on your son going Poo-Poo like a big boy....Terrific....Glad you had a fun day at the zoo...We had just been talking the other day that it has been a long time since we had gone....Definitely a Must Do.....Have a Great Day Dear...See Ya' 2moro.....Hugs enclosed....

Photomama said...

I loved how this recipe looked. I hello'd it to my sister.
NOW, google is closing HELLO. I am devestated.
you can comment to google and help save hello by writing a feedback at:
http://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/request.py?ctx=accounts_hc&contact_type=feedback

I could not have shared your recipe without hello.

send in feedback and help save HELLO