Saturday, January 26, 2008

Happy Birthday Josiah

Happy Birthday to my son today. What we do every year on the day they were born, we set the alarms 2 minutes before they were born. We tell them that this is the moment that I'm pushing them out into the world. We tell all the details that happened before, during and after they were born..(parental discretion advised).. believe me it's a story to tell. With my birthday boy Josiah, I felt the contractions at about 4:30 in the morning the day before his estimated birthday. I got up and took a shower... just in case. While in the shower the contractions were more frequent. I yelled for my husband that this is it. My brother-in-law was living with us and so we woke him up to tell him we were going to the hospital and to watch our 2 year old son, Kainoa.

I called my doctor that I was on my way in about 10 minutes (the hospital was very very close) My doctor told me that the neighboring hospital was on strike and that the hospital was very busy and crazy. Their was only one room left and she was going to try to save it for me. My parents are doctors, she knew them, so I had connections. We had made arrangements for my sister-in-law to pick up my son and bring him to the hospital. My aunt was a nurse at the same hospital. She worked in delivery or post-partum. She worked graveyard so I new she would still be there.

When we drove up, the parking lot was filled. My husband was advised to drop me off at the emergency room. I got there in major pain and contractions one after the other. There were no more wheelchairs for me. I had to walk to delivery. A security guard came to help me walk to the elevator and stayed with me. I felt worried and bad cuz he was a cute old man and I was just moaning, groaning and breathing. My aunt and another nurse were about to go down to meet me with a wheelchair. They were at the elevator when it opened with me in it. Perfect timing.... I so needed that wheelchair. My husband at the time is trying to find a parking space....

I was quickly undressed and in bed. It was about 6:20pm. My son finally arrived with my sister-in-law and my parents showed up too. About 7:15 they broke my water. I was pushing and hurting. No epidural. All natural. About 7:26 the doctor and nurse said they lost a heart beat. A lot of hospital staff showed up into the room. I only had one time to push they told me. I was very scared.

At 7:28 Josiah was quickly born. I didn't get to hold him right away because he wasn't breathing. My husband said he was blue and not responding. But thank God I heard his cry a few seconds later. Wow I'm getting choked up as I write this.

So this is the story we tell Josiah every year at the time it happened. It's quite a story and I'm glad my husband was around when it happened. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that when I was giving my final one time push, I was screaming and grunting. My sister-in-law was taking my son out of the room because he was so upset and concerned that I was crying and screaming. At the exact time Kainoa walked by, Josiah was coming out, Kainoa had full view of my you know what and Josiah's head. He screamed and pointed "Mom. What's that!?" while trying to reach out for me over his aunt's shoulder. I can't forget that look. Yeah, I would be scared too...lol.

Anyways, I got to get ready for this big party were having. Thanks for stopping by. Oh yeah, don't forget that the template tutorial ends tonight!

This is my last entry. Please look forward to DeDe Smith tomorrow.
See ya, take care and thanks for visiting!
Mwah!

6 comments:

Kim said...

Josiah says to say Happy Birthday to Josiah!!! You are not going to believe this, but my Josiah was a blue baby when he was born too, the only one out of the seven! Must be the name... LOL! I hope all went well with the party!

Dracowin said...

Wow! What a birthday story! That's a very cool tradition to share all about the day they were born on their birthdays.

Unknown said...

wow what a story. I am glad everything worked out . Happy Birthday to Josiah

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing Josiah's birth story... I am sure that it is a story that he loves to hear each year!

Anonymous said...

What a Terrific Story...but WOW the part about your son seeing all was a doosie.....Yikes....Anyways...I really enjoyed the story...I guess alot of babies are born Blue and have to be stimulated by rubbing them to get the circulation going....Gotta run but it was fun visiting with you Dear....Have a Great Weekend....

Jen said...

Lynn, thanks so much for sharing with us this week! I have really enjoyed getting to know more about you. Hope Josiah's birthday went well! And WOW what a birth story you have to share with him (LOVE the idea of sharing that story with them each year).