Monday, April 21, 2008

Grandchildren

I thought it would be nice to talk about our grandkids ... well, MY granddaughter, in particular! Michaela, just turned 4 on March 28. She is an "only" child (so far), and the daughter of my eldest son, Michael. My son was the primary "caregiver" for her first two years, and so she is a bit "advanced" for her age. To say she is somewhat spoiled would be be an huge understatement!

Michaela has a wonderful imagination. A few months ago, she was "pretending" she was FOUR years old. However, she was being particularly "difficult" that day, and I was getting a bit weary of her antics. I sat down with her to "discuss" the proper way for a little girl to behave. Being the wise Grammy that I am, I explained to her that I was really looking forward to her birthday, because four year old little girls, ALWAYS acted nicely and did as they are told the first time! I had to laugh (to myself, of course) at her reply ... "Oh no, Grammy, because I AM ALREADY four!"

Parenting is very different today from the "old" days when I raised my children.
Back then we were "allowed" to give a spanking on the bottom when needed, or deny a child dessert if their meal was not finished. NOT TODAY! Michaela's parents use
"time out", and the "counting" system. On yet ANOTHER day, my little precious sweetie, was AGAIN being difficult. Even Little Bear (kids tv show) could not distract her from bouncing on my furniture. So I thought and thought ... what could I do????
Ahhhhhh .... I said, "Michaela ...ONE!" Well, wasn't I amazed when she immediately bounced her tiny butt down on the sofa, and sat perfectly still! She did, though, give me a "look to kill". Hmmmmmmmm .... maybe that IS easier than chasing a kid around the room, threatening to spank their bottom!!!

In the end though, it is all so worth while. Last night she was on the phone with my son....she sent me a "message".... TELL GRAMMY I LOVE HER! What could be sweeter than that?

I had a few requests to share some photos of Michaela. So, I made a quickpage for todays FREEBIE ... and here is my cute angel!


Photobucket

Photobucket

DON'T FORGET, THE LINK WILL EXPIRE TOMORROW ... so get your FREEBIE now! (sorry, this link has expired)

See you back here tomorrow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the stories! And, the QP of course!!

Anonymous said...

Now I just know that that child could never get into mischief....She has such a sweet and innocent face....LOL...I know parenting is a lot different these days and spoiling is soooo much more prevelent...But the way I see it....if we don't have them 24/7 that means the parents have to deal with it most of the time...My grandkids are told the Rules of Grannys house very early on and it works..Well......Sometimes....Gotta run...Love the QP you gifted us with and yes...your DGD is just Darling....Tootles !!

Anonymous said...

I must have missed your mini kit by a few minutes! Thanks for the qp!! I love your work!

Robbi and Mike said...

Awww, she's adorable. I know exactly what you mean. Kori will be 5 in July and too intelligent for her own good! But ya gotta love um, even with that evil look they can give! Thank you for the adorable qp! Have a great Week Marsha! Hugs

Caroline said...

She does look very innocent doesnt she LOL Thanks for the QPs

Anonymous said...

Love reading your posts Marsha! Oh do I know about those "difficult" toddler times. I am at the tip of the iceburg!

Melody aka pebbles7195 said...

She is a doll!! Parenting is alot different now then when I was growing up!! But you do the best you can do to instill right from wrong and manners!! I am big on manners - yes ma'am and no ma'am and yes sir and no sir - that's big in the south and a sign of respect!! Well, thanks for the awesome QP - she's a doll and growing so fast!!:)

Anonymous said...

Michaela is a real cutie! Thanks so much for sharing a picture of her. I soooooooooo look forward to being a grandma. My daughter was such a dream to raise, so I hope her children will take after her! Thank you for the great QP.

Anonymous said...

I love being called 'Grammy' too. I don't ever want them to outgrow it, although I know they will. Thanks for the great page and idea!