Saturday, April 26, 2008

That MIDDLE child ... OH MY!

My youngest son, and middle child, Richard, is by far the most "simple, yet complicated" of all my offspring. He is definitely his "own man", very independent, and tends to keep to himself. He is my child who is the most easy-going and flexible. He does not make life a drama. While he lives only minutes from me, he is very involved in his own life, and makes his "appearance" infrequently. However, he is probably the most "family-oriented" of my three. He would NOT miss a family function, even if it meant changing his own plans. He has a very strong personality, is subtly generous, and I can ALWAYS count on him when needed. He is actually the "strength" that binds us when the chips are down.

Richard exhibits many personality traits of his paternal side. He has followed in his dad's footsteps in the martial arts. Over the years, he has studied both Judo and Karate, in which he holds a black belt. His father was a National Champion in Judo in the late '60's, and an alternate one year for the US Olympic team. My son is awaiting being called to service for our local police department; his dad is in law enforcement, too.

Growing up, Richard was our "problem" child. He is very inquisitive, and is a dare-taker. I believe this is due to his "middle child" need, to compete with his siblings, for his share of our "attention". Richard excels at everything he does, but often at a cost. Somewhere, around age 10, we had a "strange" conversation with his teacher at report card time. She was distraught; Richard was the class "clown", and she really felt if he were to pay more attention to her, he would be getting better grades. She was rather insistant that we "discipline" our son, because his behavior was holding him back! Now, all this is fine, EXCEPT the child did not have a grade below 95! How do you tell your son he is "not working to the best of his ability" with that average. Like the "good" parents we were, we sat Richard down and tried to explain all this to "the boy". I was not surprised at his response, "Well, obviously, I learn everthing she teaches with no problem, so I don't HAVE to keep paying attention to her!" Now how can you argue with that?

He was the child you would "test" us through those teen years. This child of mine was the one who tried the alcohol, smoking, Halloween pranks, etc, AND when "caught" would fess right up! Go figure.

Richard has a charisma, charming expressive eyes, and a gentle smile. To this day, when asked, or TOLD, he must do something ... or NOT do something, he will bat those long lashes of his, smile and nod, and then proceed to do exactly as he wants. He is SUCH a "good boy".

Here is a layout I have done of my sweet "baby" Richard. I used my PUPPY DOG TAILS TWO kit, available in my store.

Photobucket



I also have a QP for you today. Please don't forget to download today; the link will expire tomorrow. (link has expired)

Photobucket


I have had a wonderful time this week, sharing a bit about myself and my family with you. Thank you for reading my "ramblings", and sharing your comments. You can still keep in touch with my daily, on my own BLOG! Grab your favorite beverage, listen to my music selections, and read more. FREEBIES can be found there often!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the story of your middle child today. He sounds like such a character. Your LO is spectacular to. Thanks for the QP

Anonymous said...

Hey Sweetie...Soooo Enjoyed learning a bit about you and your lovely family......Doesn'tit seem like every family has one child that will test your will ?? I know we did.....But seriously...You have a beautiful, wonderful family....Thank You for your wonderful gift and hope to see you back again real soon...Have a GR* Day....Have a GR* week-end too.....Hugs Hon

Robbi and Mike said...

Love reaing about your family. Seems he is a big Sweetheart!
Thank you for the darling qp, it is adorable! Until tomorrow... Have a wonderful day, Hugs!

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Thankyou for a most enjoyable week, getting to know a bit more about you and your wonderful family. It has been a real pleasure coming here each day. Thankyou also for the wonderful freebies. Have a wonderful weekend.

Caroline said...

Thank you for yet another freebie. It has been great reading your stories and sharing in your family life this week. It is nice to know too, that my kids are much the same as others and all perfectly normal LOL

Anonymous said...

I've so enjoyed reading about you and your family this week. You have such a wonderful family. I'm really going to miss your stories. I hope you will be back very soon. Thank you for the great QP.