Friday, April 25, 2008

Oh, Those Firstborn's!

My son, Michael, my eldest son, came into the world,in a flash. Well, he WAS past his due date, however, he was speedy once he decided to join his mommy and daddy. I awoke around 7am, had a bit of a backache, ate breakfast, and by 7:30, my (ex)husband, convinced me I was in labor. I was supposed to take my parents car in for repair, but I was FORCED to call them to say I would not be available, I was being made to go to the hospital. So off we went! In "those days", Lamaze was the thing to do. We had taken all of our classes, and BOY could I breathe! Daddy had his tennis ball to massage my back, and some candies to suck on. Our plan was to have a nice, enjoyable, day of LABOR. Boy were we fooled ... I was taken to the OB and examined. As my sore back was being massaged, I asked the nurse if she thought I might have the baby by suppertime. "Girl, you are going to have this baby by LUNCH!" This definitely was NOT the "horror" stories I had heard about labor. In fact, I was STILL doubting I was actually IN labor. Finally, doc arrived and examined me. I could not imagine what was going on, when suddenly he ran to get the nurse. They whisked me off to delivery, where my newborn made his appearance after 3 little pushes. And, the nurse was totally correct .. the time ... 11:28am!!!

Michael has ALL the characteristics of a FIRSTBORN. Although he is a high achiever, he defintely competes with his younger siblings for attention and applause. Of course, that is HIS due! He is very independent, dependable, responsible, and a man of "authority". On the other hand, he is very sensitve, not always in a good way, a bit spoiled and often manipulates his siblings.

At the age of 11, he decided he needed a "job"; his allowance was just not enough! So, he walked a few blocks to a florist shop which was owned by a family friend. Returning home, he was proud to tell us that Sal had given him a job, for $1.00 an hour, every Saturday and one other night a week. Michael held that job until he was 16 and able to get a "real" job. He was given regular raises and became best friends with the owner's son. To this day, Sal calls him during Christmas, Valentines and Mother's Day, and Michael goes to lend a hand.
Now, though, he does it for free!

My son is really keen on dogs, and has had more than his share over the years. Mostly, AFTER moving out of our home. I have been more than a bit "disturbed" at his "acceptance" of the dogs. He didn't seem to mind the fur, dirty paw prints, chewed shoes scattered around his house. Often, he would tire of the pet, and find someone who could "take care of it better" than he could. For that I was always thankful. Once, he commented, "I can't imagine people having kids, if a DOG is this much work!"

Well, the time came when Michael and Erin decided to start a family. Even though he was almost 30, I couldn't help but remember the remark comparing babies and dogs. It kinda "scared me!" When Erin was in her last trimester, we were at my stepson's childs christening. The baby was a bit fussy, and he was holding and rocking him. MY SON asked, "What do you do when you get 'tired' of holding them?" WOW ... now I was REALLY scared.
Well the day came when Michaela made her entrance in the world. I will NEVER forget the awe, love and pride on my son's face. I am so glad to say, my fears were all put to rest.
Apparently, that sweet little bundle created a man out of my little boy. I have been surprised to see how much "parenting" he learned while being raised by us! I am happy to say that, because of work schedules, Michael was the primary caregiver for his daughter for the first two years of her life. He witnessed all her "firsts", and found her first tooth.
He did without sleep, to rock her, when she was colicky. He has held her on his lap when she got her shots, and taught her the alphabet, color names, and reads to Michaela every day. And his PATIENCE, my my, I NEVER thought I would see that softness in Michael!

With every photo taken, I can't help but smile with a mother's pride, at the love my son and granddaughter share. Just another of God's miracles!

Today, I have a beautifully framed photo of Michael and Michaela.
The pic was taken two summers ago, and it is one of my favorites.

Photobucket

AND, for YOU, three FREEBIE frames.
Photobucket


Don't forget, get your download today. The link will expire tomorrow.
(sorry, this link has expired)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing-story and freebies!

Anonymous said...

It was wonderful to hear about your son and his "turning into a man" after the birth if his daughter -- kids have a way of making us grow up fast, don't they! Thanks for the pretty frames!

Anonymous said...

Oh My....What a gorgeous picture of Your son and his daughter.....I soooo enjoyed your commentary today and soooo Happy that he has grown into a wonderful Parent.....You did very well Dear.....Its all in getting their attention......too many parents don't even try and then wonder why their children didn't turn out so good.....Yep.....Its all in the parenting.....Good Job Girl.....Thank you for those beautiful frames....I am finally getting to feeling like doing something again.....well maybe....Have a GR8 Day....& GR8 week-end....Hugs Hon !!

Robbi and Mike said...

How adorable your layout and thank you for the beautiful frames. I can see and feel your pride in Michael, so glad he 'grew up' when he needed to :) Wonderful story of his growing up, I really enjoyed it! Hugs and have a wonderful day.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the wonderful frames!

Anonymous said...

Oh you have such a way with words that I envy!!!!! Love the story and sharing it with us. Thank you for the goodies also, they are great! Hugs and its been great to have a little peak into your life! Deb P

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

TYSVMFS Marsha.. these are so cute.
:-)
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous picture of Michael and Michaela! Little baby girls have a way of turning men into fathers. You have such a wonderful talent for putting your thoughts into words. Thank you so much for sharing all the wonderful stories of your family, and thank you for the beautiful frames.