Monday, November 26, 2007

Super Mom or Super Bomb?

Good Monday to you all! Mondays always make me think of the children's book Terrible No Good Rotten Monday lol. It was my favorite book as a child.

I've been thinking about the term "Super Mom". One thing I know for sure is that it certainly doesn't apply to me! The term itself brings great anxiety and feelings of deficit. How do those women do it? Is there something lacking in my genetic make-up that make me unable to be one of them? Am I too lazy or maybe just too selfish? I know there must be other women out there that feel the same as I do, but it's just not something we talk about. Our society says that if we stay home with our children we must ferry them around to endless activities and cook hot homemade meals for breakfast lunch and dinner. I know some people will say "oh what a terrible person!" but that's ok, I am just not cut out to be a Super Mom.

If we have 15 activities a week for our children, chair charity boards, volunteer at school, lead the brownie troop, or any of the other many things that are associated with super Mom's does that make us better mothers?

I started seriously wondering if my kids are missing out because of my shortcomings, but then I realized that my kids love me just the way I am. They love that I don't look like the other mothers, that sometimes I have pink streaks in my hair and wear lowrise jeans and have tattoos. They love that I don't act like the other mothers, that sometimes we have pancakes with whip cream for dinner and that they each get a special ice cream and shopping day all to themselves. They love that because I make them each choose one activity a season we have more time to spend at home together reading books, playing games and making goodies in the kitchen. They even love that I spend so much time at my computer making "cool" layouts of them! So maybe I'm not a Super Mom, I'll proudly take the title of Super Bomb instead!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I am soooo with you! I always said, "I'm just not a mommy." From what you describe, I'll proudly join you as a Super Bomb! Janet

Joni Siebenlist said...

Oh you go Michelle!! The most important thing is the time that you spend with your children! The only problem that I have found with that is you miss them tooo much when they are gone!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the "food for thought". When my boys were little and I would be stressed out and yelling and my house was a disaster I would think "maybe they would be better off at day care!" Now they are 15 and 12 and I know they are glad I was around. Super-perfect moms don't exist and neither do super kids and that's OK ;)

Calico said...

Another Super Bomb here! I love that title. I really needed to read this post today...thanks, it made me smile!
Calico

TexJudy said...

Hold on a sec! Granted, none of us are perfect, but in our children's eyes, we ARE super!Ok, maybe through the teenage years, according to them, we don't know a whole lot =) but all in all, if we are not rude, crude and abusive, don't you think they all see us as super? Just because we have to park a mile down the road when we let them out somewhere..or walk a mile behind them in the mall...doesn't mean we are "bad" mothers. And aren't some of the greatest memories made at home with family? I think it's so important JUST to spend time with them...NOT being busy all the time with extra curricular activities is not such a bad idea!
I could go on and on, but this is already too long...lol...I just wanted to say, Hey! Your child(ren) are a blessed gift...and YOU as their Mom, are a blessed gift to them! So, YES!, you are a Super Mom!