Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Alaska the great land

I want to tell you a little about where I live, I must say it is the most beautiful place in the world. They say that God left the best for last when He created Alaska, and it is known as the last frontier. The first call to Alaska was the gold rush, many came to get rich quick, some did. For me, the charm is in its people and its beauty. So here are some facts that will give you a little insight to this fabulous place I call home
Alaska is the biggest state, twice the size of Texas. I know that will step on a few toes, sorry all you Texans, but it is a fact. If you place Alaska on the lower 48 as we call it, it will stretch all the way from Florida to San Francisco. Check out the photo, it puts the size in perspective.

Alaska is the land of the midnight sun. In the summer we have 19 hours and 21 minutes of daylight where I live. Of course farther north the sun comes up in late May and goes down in late August. The flipside though is that in December we only get 6 hours and 30 minutes of daylight and up north the sun goes down late November and comes up again in January (for an hour each day to start).
Alaska has a wide diverse culture one of which is the Tlingit

Indians. They live mostly in the southeast and love to dance, bead, fish, and tell stories. I and my family have all been adopted into the clan. I and my daughter are ravens and my husband is an eagle. My Tlingit name is Ka Jint which means helping hands. My parents were also adopted. We have all been given necklaces and vests. I have on a few occasions even been priveleged to dance with the Chilkat Dancers in Haines. Sadly this group has now pretty much either died out or moved to other places. My sister, Darlene, also danced with them as 4 of her children are half Tlingit.
Alaska also boasts the tallest mountain in North America. Moutn McKinley is 20,320 feet. We also have 3.5 million lakes which cover 20 acres of land.The state flower is the "Forget me Not", and the bird is the willow ptarmigan, most Alaskans jokingly say it is the mosquito. The fishing is excellent, with King Salmon that is out of this world. It is very common to see moose wondering around in the city, occasionally even a bear.
The other most phenominal thing in Alaska is the northern lights, also called the Aurora Borealis. The beauty of them is far beyond description. To see the lights dance across the sky is something that you just don't forget. It is a beautiful display of light that is all natural.
The capital of Alaska is Juneau and it is only accessible by plane or boat. In order to get your car there you have to put it on the Alaska Marine Highway. You can drive to Skagway and Haines in southeast and then Anchorage and Fairbanks and several places in between. It takes about 36 hours of solid driving from Skagway to Bellingham WA. I know, my mom and I have done it.
Well, I could go on for a while longer and brag about this beautiful place. The mountains, the wildlife, the flowers, the people, but I guess I better go for now. Have to save something for another day. Have a great Tuesday and don't forget to come back tomorrow, you might find a little something special.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina...Thank You sooo much for telling us a bit about yourself and where you are from...I am in Wisc. and we have alot of indian culture here also....Have a Great Day Dear.....See ya' 2moro....Sending Hugs...

Anonymous said...

Sounds just beautiful ! Thank you for sharing with us. have a great day !

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing a little about you and Alaska! I've had friends that visited or lived there and the photos they brought back show indeed just how pretty Alaska is. I'm looking forward to hearing more and maybe some photos?
Thanks again!

Photomama said...

Living in Texas and knew that Alaska was huge - Glad you put that map up - that really shows us how large Alaska is.

Thanks - you are a great blogger..

Cheryl said...

It is so fun seeing Alaska through your eyes and layouts....this just taught me more!

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading about Alaska today. It sounds like it would be a great place to visit sometime. I am very cold natured tho and have always thought I couldn't quite take it. What are the temperatures like there? Looking forward to hearing more.