Tuesday, October 30, 2007

In response to Jen's question about camera and lens. We are using a Canon 20D with a Canon Zoom Telephoto EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS Image Stabilizer USM Autofocus Lens. We had a regular Canon 70-200mm lens, but it just wasn't doing the job for us. Lighting is notoriously bad in rinks and you really need a good professional lens to get good action shots. I can tell you that hubby is now shooting between 200-300 pictures per game and I throw away very few due to blur. I am running them through a noise filter because shooting at a high ISO causes more noise than I like to see. I found a great program that I can batch them through. I have also fallen in love with Adobe Lightroom for editing the pictures. I can run the entire batch through simple white balance edits, etc. and it saves me a ton of time instead of editing one by one in Photoshop. I batch process through Noiseware first, then Lightroom. After that I can do any individual edits on ones that need that extra touch. That's really only for ones that I print or do layouts with though. After I've batch processed, I export out to e-mail size prints and upload to the team's website. Our team loves that they have their own photographer!

I'm pretty organized with the photos broken down into folders by game. However, I am realizing that I have a hard time sorting through sometimes when looking for pictures of Ollie. I think I'm going to have to create a sub-folder under each game and copy only the pictures that he is in to the sub-folder so that they are easier for me to find when scrapping. Sounds like a lot of work up front, but easy once I start doing it from here forward. Right?

1 comment:

Jen said...

That is a very nice lens! Thanks for all the info on how you process your photos. I just got a Nikon D80 this summer so I am still trying to get a process that works for me figured out.
Great idea for the sub folder! I took pictures at all Drew's soccer games this fall (have them saved by game) and I know what you mean about finding just the ones of your son for scrapping later on.